Wednesday, February 22, 2017

I saw an advertisement that caught my attention. It brought me to Get reMarkable. It's an e-ink tablet that could be something worth while if they went the extra step. What might that be? They need affiliations. Kindle, or Chapters and Barnes & Noble in Canada and the U.S. respectively.

While yes it can read ePub files, it states clearly that only non-DRM'd files can be used. This means that the most sought after books won't be available. Also getting files to the device feels outdated. In a world of on demand cloud infrastructure, syncing files to another device reeks of antiquity. Plus the fact that I have a growing collection of Kindle books that I can already read on my phone, iPad and computer and have it automatically update between the three has become a must.

The very fact that this device cannot participate in this ecosystem makes it a failure out of the gate. If it were to add a seamless Kindle application it would be the perfect device. Without it, it's interesting but of limited use. Sorry guys, your really close but not quite there.

No comments:

Post a Comment